Sunday 9 February 2014

Vegemite V Marmite







Current history shows us that Australia will beat England by a mile (The Ashes) and it's no different in the food aisle.

This morning, I decided to finally compare my beloved Australian Vegemite with its British version.



There is a distinct difference between the two spreads in texture - the Marmite is more runny and is a bit more easy to spread. As you can see from my awesome photography skills above, the colour pales in comparison to Vegemite.

As I took my first bite of the Marmite slathered bit of toast, I was a wee bit apprehensive - a lot of my friends had described the taste as 'equivalent to tar'.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that this was not the case - it didn't really taste like tar-like at all! If anything it is just a very milder version of Vegemite - but that could be because of the amount of real butter that is underneath.

For anyone who has tried Vegemite, you know that it is a very strong flavour - one only Australians can love it seems. As my British friend Lily (on a working holiday in Australia) describes 'Vegemite is the poor man's Marmite.'

I, however, disagree. With it's weaker, poorer taste, Marmite is clearly, the poor man's Vegemite.

No comments:

Post a Comment